||Number of Abortion Providers
Sources: Guttmacher Institute Report: "Abortion in the United States: Incidence and Access to Services".
List Notes: Data is for the year 2005. Percent change is from the year 2000 to 2005.
Top 5 facts sources:
- According to the Guttmacher Institute report, abortion is a common experience: At current rates, about one in three American women will have had an abortion by the time she reaches age 45. Moreover, a broad cross section of U.S. women have abortions. 57% of women having abortions are in their 20s; 60% have one or more children; 86% are unmarried; 57% are economically disadvantaged; 88% live in a metropolitan area; and 78% report a religious affiliation. No racial or ethnic group makes up a majority: 41% of women obtaining abortions are white non-Hispanic, 32% are black non-Hispanic, 20% are Hispanic and 7% are of other racial backgrounds.
- Contraceptive use is a key predictor of women's recourse to abortion. The very small group of American women who are at risk of experiencing an unintended pregnancy but are not using contraceptives account for almost half of all abortions-46% in 2000.
- Slightly more than one in five pregnancies end in
abortion, indicating that unwanted pregnancy is still
a common occurrence in the United States. Abortion is considered to be one of the safest surgical procedures for women in the United States. Fewer than 0.5% of women obtaining abortions experience a complication, and the risk of death associated with abortion is about one-tenth that associated with childbirth.
- In 2005, 1.2 million American women obtained abortions, producing a rate of 19.4 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age. The rate declined 9% from 2000, when the abortion rate was 21.3 abortions per 1,000 women 15-44.
- In all, 1,787 facilities provided abortions in the United
States in 2005; that number represents a decline
of just 2% from 2000.
- Jones, R., Zolna, M., Henshaw, S., Finer, L. (2005). "Abortion in the United States: Incidence and Access to Services. Retrieved Jan, 2011.
Hand-picked by our editors.
A look at Top 5's popular lists.
A look at Top 5's newest lists.