||U.S. Sales 2010
||% Change from 2009
||Number of U.S. Franchises
||$5,39 billion ||+ 7.8%
||$3,30 billion ||+ 9.1%
||$2,09 billion ||+ 1.9%
||$1,25 billion ||+ 10.9%
|Papa Murphy's Take 'N' Bake
||$655.0 million ||+ 4.0%
Sources: PMQ Pizza Magazine rankings 2010 (Latest available data as of November 2012).
List Notes: Data is for the year 2010 in U.S. Dollars.
- As of March 2009, there were approximately 64,951 pizza restaurants in the United States, 42% were chains and 58% were independent restaurants. Consumers report that 45 percent of pizza orders are takeout, 36 percent are delivery and 20 percent are dine-in. Pizza sales for the year 2009 were $32.286 billion dollars with independent restaurants accounting for 51.66% of total pizza sales in the United States. Approximately 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year. Pizzerias represent 17% of all restaurants and pizza accounts for more that 10% of all foodservice sales. Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day, or about 350 slices per second. 16% of the pizzas ordered in the United States in 2009 were ordered online.
- Cheese accounts for roughly 40% of the cost of a
restaurant pizza, making it the most important menu
ingredient by far with respect to costs. 86% of pizza consumers say they prefer to choose their own toppings as opposed to ordering a specialty pizza.
- Pepperoni is by far America's favourite topping, (36% of all pizza orders). Approximately 251,770,000 pounds of pepperoni are consumed on pizzas annually. Other popular pizza toppings are mushrooms, extra cheese, sausage, green pepper and onions. 62% of Americans prefer meat toppings on their pizza, while 38% prefer vegetarian toppings.
- Delivery accounts for 34% of all pizza meal
occasions compared to just 2% of all other
- There is one pizza restaurant for every 4,330 U.S. residents. The Big Four pizza chains (Pizza Hut, Domino's Pizza, Papa John's and Little Caesars Pizza) represent 36.8% of industry sales at $10.81 billion. The top 50 pizza chains in the United States own 42% of pizzerias and control 48.34% of pizza sales.
Top 5 facts sources:
- Barrett, Liz. "Pizza Power Report 2010". PMQ Pizza Magazine. September, 2010. 56+.
- Food Industry News, Blumenfeld and Associates.
Hand-picked by our editors.
A look at Top 5's popular lists.
A look at Top 5's newest lists.