Top 5 Featured
The Top 5 Most Environmentally Friendly Vehicles for 2013
Top 5 Highest
The Top 5 Ways Americans Spend their Time Online
|Category||Time Spent on Category||Share of Internet Time|
|Other||20 minutes 36 seconds||34.3%|
|Social Networks||13 minutes 36 seconds||22.7%|
|Online Games||6 minutes 6 seconds||10.2%|
|5 minutes 0 seconds||8.3%|
|Portals||2 minutes 36 seconds||4.4%|
Sources: Nielsen NetView â€“ June 2009-June 2010
List Notes: The "Other" category is thought to have been combined together in order to obscure the fact that this category is very likely to include a high percentage of internet pornography. We can only speculate what percentage of online pornography makes up the 34.3%.
- Social media continues to dominate American's time online now accounting for nearly a quarter of time spent online. Americans spend more time on Facebook than they do on any other U.S. website. Close to 40 percent of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone. (a)
- Men are the heaviest online video users streaming more videos and watching them longer than women (no surprises there. Editor). (a)
- Between 2009 and 2010 online games overtook personal email to become the second most heavily used activity behind social networks - accounting for 10 percent of all U.S. Internet time. Email dropped from 11.5 percent of time to 8.3 percent. (b)
- June 2010 was a major milestone for U.S. online video as the number of videos streamed passed the 10 billion mark. The average American consumer streaming online video spent 3 hours 15 minutes doing so during the month. (b).
- Despite some predictions otherwise, the rise of social networking hasnâ€™t pushed email and instant messaging into obscurity just yet. Although both saw double-digit declines in share of time, email remains as the third heaviest activity online (8.3 percent share of time) while instant messaging is fifth, accounting for four percent of Americans online time. (b.).
- Neilson. Social Media Report: Q3 2011.
- Nielsen NetView. June 2009 to June 2010.