Top 5 Featured
The Top 5 Most Environmentally Friendly Vehicles for 2013
Top 5 Longest
The Top 5 Countries with the Largest Areas of Frontier Forest
|Country||Area of Frontier Forest (km2)||Area of Frontier Forest (mi2)||World Percentage|
Sources: World Resources Institute, Food and Agriculture Organization of
List Notes: *The term "frontier forest" refers to large, ecologically intact and relatively undisturbed natural forests which are likely to survive indefinitely without human assistance.
- Almost half of the Earth's original forest has been destroyed, mostly during the last three decades.
- Between 1990 and 1995, the net forest loss equaled 33 football fields per minute (112 600 square kilometers annually).
- 40% of the forests on Earth qualify as frontier forests
- 70% of the world's remaining frontier forests are in Russia, Canada and Brazil.
- 39% of Earth's remaining frontier forest is threatened by logging, agricultural clearing and other human activities.